The Lyon Hall RAs are creating a Lyon Hall of Fame this year for perspective students at Ithaca Today! If you were a resident in Lyon Hall any of your years on campus, you have the opportunity to be featured in a slideshow. Fill out the survey here and email Allie Latini (firstname.lastname@example.org) a photo of yourself to be featured.
It’s hard to believe that the time has come already to talk about housing for next fall, but the RLC selection process is already underway. Check out this message from Residence Director of Lyon Katie Hellmann about the process of living in the Honors RLC in Lyon Hall as an upper-years student and some of the benefits:
Much of what makes Honors and Lyon hall unique and great are the upper-year students who provide mentorship and leadership in the hall. If that wasn’t enough incentive to at least apply to live in Lyon next year, here are another 4 reasons to live in Lyon next year:
1. You know your housing assignment sooner! By living in an RLC, you get to pick your housing by MARCH 10th!! That’s almost three months before your peers do! Do you want to block house with others? Well, it’s possible to room next to your friends during RLC selection without the hassle of applying or having someone assign rooms for you. Double bonus!
2. Proximity: Lyon hall is super close to the academic side of campus, fitness center, and campus center. With most of the academic school year occurring during winter, being close to these buildings sounds like a no-brainer to me.
3. Resources: Compared to other halls, Lyon hall is STOCKED! Games, computers, kitchens, laundry machines, Keurig, kitchen supplies, oh my! These resources are a huge bonus to living in Lyon.
4. Community: Let’s be honest here. The community in Lyon is AMAZING (probably because you are amazing people). People are friendly, nice, and always willing to make new friends. We have more events and opportunities than other communities. The community in Lyon hall is so unique; why not come back and be part of this community again?
Here are the important things to remember:
Application deadline is March 7th!! Just because you apply, doesn’t mean that you have to live in Lyon. And just because you select housing doesn’t mean that you can’t change your mind later. Honestly, I would recommend applying just to have a back-up plan! Because if you don’t apply, than you can’t select later on. Applications are through HomerConnect. If you have any issues or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out a email@example.com!
For all incoming first-year students, applications are due on HomerConnect for living in the Honors RLC (or any other RLCs). Don’t forget that even if you get approved, you aren’t required to live in Lyon – so if you’re just thinking about it, might as well put in an application on Homer, especially because it’s as simple as clicking a button.
Approvals are on a rolling basis and have been going on since June 9, but all approvals will be posted on July 10. More important dates for choosing housing can be found here.
Are you an incoming first-year student who wants a community filled with other similarly academically inclined students? Consider living in the Honors RLC in Lyon Hall!
Lyon offers a full RA staff of Honors students and a vibrant community filled with a lot of awesome programming and friendly people. The goals of the RLC are to:
- develop a strong sense of academic community among the students participating in the Honors Housing Program.
- offer programs that integrate topics from students’ coursework.
- provide additional out-of-class opportunities for the students to interact with the Honors Faculty members.
- provide a community living experience that is supportive of students’ academic success and interests.
- promote honors students’ academic leadership.
Apply on HomerConnect under the “Residential Life” then “Residential Learning Communities” tab by July 7.
- Want to live with other friends in the Honors Program?
- Would you like a living environment where exciting events happen every single week, but you can still chill and do homework with your neighbors?
- Wish you could live in the quads even though you aren’t a first-year student?
- How about living in the only building with two kitchens, two laundry rooms, three lounges, and a computer lab?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, consider living in Lyon Hall! Lyon is home to the Honors Residential Learning Community, which is an awesome place to live. The building, features, and location are great, but the community and people who live there are even better.
Here’s how to live in Lyon for Fall 2015:
- Apply: Applications are posted on HomerConnect now! The deadline is March 17. Remember, applying is not a commitment to live there, but you can’t live there without applying. That means if you’re even considering it, apply just in case!
- Get approved: March 21st approvals will be posted on HomerConnect. This is when you find out if you were approved to live in Lyon or not! Note that the “application” is really just a checkbox and the only reason you wouldn’t be approved is if we ran out of room.
- Pick a room! On March 24th you can select into your room starting at 7 AM.